Elimination Target Year
Malaria Country Profile
- 10%of this population live in areas of active transmission (Total population 52.98 million)
- South Africa has reached a stage where elimination is possible by 2020, with the province of KwaZulu Natal likely to achieve malaria elimination first. Approximately77% of malaria cases are diagnosed in travellers from neighbouring countries each year (imported cases).
- South Africa achieved a substantial decline in malaria cases, from 64,624 in 2000 to 5775 in 2016. During the same period, malaria-related deaths decreased from 424 to 42. Due to a long history of successful malaria control efforts, malaria transmission in South Africa is now confined to three endemic provinces (provinces where malaria is regularly found and reported) in the north and north-eastern parts of the country, namely: Kwa Zulu Natal, Limpopo, and Mpumalanga.
- Malaria transmission in South Africa is seasonal, with most cases occurring during the rainy summer months of September through May and peaking in January and April.
- The National Department of Health, working through provincial implementation structures, WHO and other partners, is guiding a malaria elimination strategy to achieve malaria elimination by 2018.
Focus on the End Game
The malaria burden in South Africa varies greatly by province. Limpopo Province reports 62% of local cases, while Mpumalanga accounts for 32% and KwaZulu-Natal province 6%. Key objectives outlined in the National Malaria Elimination Strategy 2012–2018 include:
- To strengthen passive and active surveillance, and monitoring and evaluation systems, so that 100% of districts report promptly and routinely on key malaria indicators by 2016
- To ensure that all levels of the malaria programme have a core team to coordinate and implement elimination interventions by 2016
- To disseminate appropriate messages so that 100% of the population has sufficient knowledge to influence their attitude and practice on malaria by 2018
- To effectively prevent local malaria infections and eliminate parasite reservoirs in 80% of the malaria endemic districts in South Africa by 2018
Recorded Malaria Cases
Recorded Malaria Deaths
Malaria Incidence Rate
Dear Applicants, We regret to inform you that the Procurement and Supply Chain Management Officer position recently advertised has been put on hold until further notice. Thank you for considering SADC-MEES as your next best employer. Kind Regards, Human...
Dar es Salaam. In 2009, Eight countries of the Southern African Development Community (SADC) formed an unprecedented partnership to collaborate at a regional level towards one common goal: achievement of malaria elimination. In 2019, these countries celebrate a decade...
Following a courtesy visit to the SADC Secretariat headquarters in Botswana on October 28 2019, a delegation from the E8 led by Hon. Dr. Chitalu Chilufya, Minister of Health for Zambia, and accompanied by Deputy Minister of Health for Namibia, Hon. Ms. Juliet...