JOB TITLE: Accountant
LOCATION: Windhoek, Namibia
REPORTING TO: Finance Manager
LENGTH OF CONTRACT: 21 Months
ROLE TYPE: Local
DIRECT REPORTS: NA
TRAVEL INVOLVED: 5%
CLOSING DATE: 27th January 2020
The Elimination 8 Initiative (E8) is a coalition of eight countries working across national borders to eliminate malaria in southern Africa by 2030. As the malaria response arm of the Southern Africa Development Community (SADC), the E8 is pioneering an ambitious regional approach and driving collective action to end this deadly disease once and for all. Guided by the belief that countries are stronger when they work together, the E8 is building a model that will inform coordinated efforts in southern Africa and beyond. Specifically, it has the following mandate:
- To strengthen regional coordination in order to achieve elimination in each of the E8 member countries;
- To elevate and maintain the regional elimination agenda at the highest political levels within the E8 countries;
- To promote knowledge management, quality control, and policy harmonization to accelerate progress towards elimination;
- To facilitate the reduction of cross-border malaria transmission; and
- To secure resources to support the regional elimination, plan, and to ensure long term sustainable financing for the region’s elimination ambitions.
The Accountant is the support person to the Finance Manager’s project financial reporting functions. The Accountant will be responsible for accounting operations by controlling and verifying project specific financial transactions and donor reporting requirements.
The Accountant is responsible for intermediate accounting responsibilities, which include reconciling account balances and bank statements, maintaining the general ledger and preparing month-end close procedures. A successful accountant combines excellent analytical skills with a thorough knowledge of accounting principles to analyze financial reports and forecasts. The duties also include:
- Ensuring accuracy, efficiency and effectiveness in project/grant accounting tasks;
- Ensuring employee advances are appropriately requested, timely discharged and accurately posted to the general ledger by verifying expense reports and related requisitions;
- Prepare payments for supplies and ensuring creditors are closely monitored;
- Produce project/grant financial reports and budgets and present their results to the Finance Manager;
- Monitor project/grant expenditure for both the E8S and grant sub-recipients;
- Review and recommend modifications to accounting systems and procedures;
- Provide input into department’s goal setting process;
- Preparation of relevant tax and other statutory returns;
- Assist with managing grant specific and statutory audit by ensuring timely and accurate provision of requested documents;
- Plan, assign and review direct report’s work;
- Support month-end and year-end close process;
- Assist in developing and documenting business processes and accounting policies to maintain and strengthen internal controls; and
- Ensure compliance with GAAP principles and grant specific reporting requirements.
- Bachelor’s degree in Accounting, Economics, Finance or relevant;
- Relevant Accounting/Finance certification (e.g. CMA, ACCA or CPA) will be preferred;
- Minimum of 3 years’ experience in a Accounting/Finance from a reputable company/organisation or donor funded organization;
- In-depth understanding of Generally Accepted Accounting Principles (GAAP);
- Experience with general ledger functions and the month-end/year-end close process;
- Hands-on experience with accounting software packages;
- Accuracy and attention to detail;
- Aptitude for numbers and quantitative skills;
- Advanced MS Excel skills;
- In-depth knowledge of Microsoft Office application along with the ability to quickly learn new applications;
- A team player, personable, organized, energetic, and you possess strong communication skills;
- Preparing financial reports, year-end working paper files, income tax returns, and income tax reporting and related summaries;
- Fluency in English; and
- A SADC citizen.
Submission of Applications:
Closing Date: Applications must be submitted via email to email@example.com no later than the 27th of January 2020, clearly indicating the position being applied for in the email subject line.
E8 is an equal opportunity employer. Applicants who meet the requirements and are being considered for the interview will be contacted. Should you not hear from the E8 within four(4) weeks after the closing date, kindly consider your application as unsuccessful.
For further details (job description) on the position that you want to apply for, kindly visit the Elimination 8 Initiative Website: www.malariaelimination8.org