JOB TITLE: Business Development Specialist
LOCATION: Windhoek, Namibia
REPORTING TO: Head of Communications, Partnerships, and Advocacy
LENGTH OF CONTRACT: 21 Months
ROLE TYPE: International
DIRECT REPORTS: NA
TRAVEL INVOLVED: 40%
CLOSING DATE: 27th January 2020
The Elimination 8 Initiative (E8) is a coalition of eight countries working across national borders to eliminate malaria in southern Africa by 2030. As the malaria response arm of the Southern Africa Development Community (SADC), the E8 is pioneering an ambitious regional approach and driving collective action to end this deadly disease once and for all. Guided by the belief that countries are stronger when they work together, the E8 is building a model that will inform coordinated efforts in southern Africa and beyond. Specifically, it has the following mandate:
- To strengthen regional coordination in order to achieve elimination in each of the E8 member countries;
- To elevate and maintain the regional elimination agenda at the highest political levels within the E8 countries;
- To promote knowledge management, quality control, and policy harmonization to accelerate progress towards elimination;
- To facilitate the reduction of cross-border malaria transmission; and
- To secure resources to support the regional elimination, plan, and to ensure long term sustainable financing for the region’s elimination ambitions.
The Business Development Specialist role is to translate the Elimination 8 Resource Mobilisation Strategy into operational action plans and tangible resources.
Identification of Opportunities
- Establish systems for identification of opportunities and response to calls with templates to manage the activities of resource mobilization;
- Establish extent of resource requirements and gaps (amounts needed to mobilise for each funding category);
- Develop and use tools for identifying resource partners, develop a matrix of identified resource partners, mapping their interests to E8 Regional Strategy and Acceleration Plan; and
- Ensure each partner listed is an acceptable source and refine Resource Partner matrix.
Engage with resource partners
- Develop or review concept notes/ proposals/ investment cases in line with Regional Strategy and Acceleration Plan;
- Develop communication plan detailing how to engage each Resource partner identified;
- In collaboration with Advocacy and communication specialists within E8, develop advocacy tools including promotional materials and coordinating online/web-based fundraising initiatives; and
- Engage donors or resource partners through field visits, meetings and workshops.
Negotiation with Partners
- Liase closely with donor liaison officers to ensure donor priorities are aligned to those of E8 Regional Strategy and Acceleration Plan; and
- Lead processes in establishing formal agreements were relevant partners.
Managing and Reporting
- Production of fundraising status reports;
- In collaboration with the Advocacy teams within E8, develop project highlights sheets or communication materials to widely communicate the success of programs in support of fundraising; and
- Supporting the E8 Executive Director in managing donor relationships.
Institutional Resource Mobilisation Support
- Assign donor focal points within the E8 office team;
- Strengthen a team approach to Resource Mobilisation through regular meetings, information sharing and training; and
- Consult on Resource Mobilisation guidelines and opportunities.
Monitor and share lessons
- Develop and maintain database of donors, project concept notes and project proposals;
- Develop and maintain an effective funding tracking system and ensure all donor funding requirements are met in any fundraising document; and
- Refocus efforts where needed through outreach to potential resource partners.
- Advanced degree in International Development /Communications/ Marketing/ Economics/ MBA/ International Relations;
- Bachelor’s degree in any other Social Sciences course;
- At least ten (10) years of relevant work experience including progressively responsible experience working at the international and national levels; and
- At least five (5) year’s resource mobilisation experience and at least three (3) years in senior role in the international development sector.
- Excellent interpersonal, negotiation, networking and communication skills;
- Ability to engage with multilateral, bilateral, corporate and development partners;
- Ability to lead dialogue with partners, identify and analyse trends, opportunities, and challenges; and
- Initiative taker, self-motivated and a commitment to continuously produce results focus on impact and results.
- Demonstrated capacity to establish and maintain excellent relationships with key partners;
- Self-motivated, initiative taker and working towards achieving results;
- Understanding of development sector, preferably malaria donor landscape and best practices in international donor relations;
- Demonstrated knowledge of grants management, monitoring, assessments, and reviews;
- Excellent understanding of resource mobilisation strategies, cycles, and activities;
- Excellent leadership, coordination, and relationship building; and
- Citizen of SADC.
Submission of Applications:
Closing Date: Applications must be submitted via email to firstname.lastname@example.org no later than the 27th of January 2020, clearly indicating the position being applied for in the email subject line.
E8 is an equal opportunity employer. Applicants who meet the requirements and are being considered for the interview will be contacted. Should you not hear from the E8 within four(4) weeks after the closing date, kindly consider your application as unsuccessful.
For further details (job description) on the position that you want to apply for, kindly visit the Elimination 8 Initiative Website: www.malariaelimination8.org