CA Global Headhunters is an international recruitment and staffing company with an in-depth focus on Recruitment in Africa. CA Global has been retained to source applicants of the highest suitability for the below role from a diversity of sectors, including, but not limited to; public health, malaria, ministerial, Government relations, and/or policy.
Job title: Director
Application Reference: MIM
Our client is at a critical and exciting inflection point in its young history as an accelerator for the attainment of the historic goal of malaria elimination in sub-Saharan Africa. The member states are rapidly scaling up innovative and game-changing strategies at both the national and the regional level, which are set to change the trajectory of malaria and malaria elimination in the region.
The organisation Ministerial Committee and Secretariat Board are now seeking a Director to continue the impressive momentum that has been started, and to allow the organization to consolidate on the lessons and experiences of its start-up period to steer the next phase of the strategy towards malaria-free Regions.
Since its founding in 2015, the organisation grown to a staff of 30 and an annual budget of approximately US $10 million. The Secretariat, which also serves as a principal recipient and funds administrator on behalf of the organisation partnership of member states has also established robust financial and grant management systems, and oversees regional grants, as well as sub-grants awarded to advance the work of the partnership.
This is an excellent opportunity for someone who is committed to the development of the 8 regions. Our client seeks a Director who is a driven, innovative, and results-oriented leader, and who has a track-record of guiding organizations that are undertaking transformational work, to the next level of impact. The ideal candidate will believe deeply that the objective can achieve malaria elimination in the next 10 years, and will be an excellent convener of strategic and game-changing partnerships, between member states, as well as with public and private sector partners.
Our client is responsible for embarking on an inter-country and cross- border regional initiative towards the elimination of malaria, recognizing that pursuing malaria elimination cannot be done in isolation of the cross-border and regional context. The organisation was formed in 2009 by eight Ministers of Health in Southern Africa – Angola, Botswana, Mozambique, Namibia, South Africa, Swaziland, Zambia, and Zimbabwe
The Ministerial Committee is the decision-making body of the organisation and leads strategic and diplomatic dialogue on the regional partnership towards a free of malaria on behalf of Member States. The Chair rotates between member states every three years; the current Chair, as of March 2018, resides in Zimbabwe.
Duties & Responsibilities:
The Director will manage a successful transition from the previous head of the Secretariat, while supporting and guiding the regional partnership through an exciting and demanding period of focused growth. He/she will build upon the successful foundational period and the lessons learned and recommendations from a three-year review exercise, and work closely with member states, the Board and the Ministerial Committee to steer the organization to a more impactful and sustainable model for regional malaria elimination.
He/she will excel in engaging with member state representatives, including Ministers of Health, Permanent Secretaries, and Malaria Program Directors/Managers. The Director will facilitate negotiation and alignment
between member states to allocate resources effectively for regional priorities, while also strengthening mechanisms for joint monitoring and accountability for the mutual elimination goal.
• Manage and facilitate a complex network of partnerships towards the implementation of the Acceleration Plan, and develop mechanisms for monitoring and accountability between players
• In collaboration with the Ministerial Committee and the Board, lead change initiatives as recommended by the strategic reviews, including the governance of the regional response, and strengthening the efficiency and effectiveness in the way that the organisation institutions interrelate – Ministerial Committee, Technical Committee, Secretariat, member state malaria programmes.
• Continuously refine the theory of change of the regional approach to malaria elimination, including demonstration of the additionality of the regional, vs. the country response
• Lead the diplomatic and technical elements of a transformational initiative to improve data-sharing among the organisations member states, and to promote a culture of regional disease intelligence systems and joint analysis of the regional unit (beyond country-level, independent surveillance)
• Expand the range of partners to include private sector and civil society, including through innovative mechanisms to leverage technical and other non-financial support for elimination
• Continuously develop the organisations platform to integrate and align individual country approaches into an increasingly networked and interlinked regional approach to malaria elimination
• Lead fundraising efforts, in consultation with the Board and Technical Committee. Strengthen delivery on existing grants, and build new relationships, especially with private sector and foundations to support funding of both national and regional strategic plans. Take advantage of strategic opportunities for leverage with other players in the region.
• In collaboration with the organisations Chair and key partners, develop and support the implementation of are source mobilization strategy. Provide input to country and cross-border strategies and proposals, and advocate for alignment with regional organisation goals.
• Support in-country resource mobilization efforts through advocacy, including contribution towards innovative financing for sustainability post elimination attainment
Diplomacy, Advocacy and External Relations:
• Work closely with the Chair and his/her Permanent Secretary, to provide briefings, recommendations and other support as requested, to support his leadership and to ensure that countries adhere to regional commitments and maintain a high level of commitment towards and performance in malaria elimination programming
• Partner with SADC, WHO, RBM, ALMA and other partners to engage critical regional and international partners in the work of the organisation; work with Ministers of Health and National Malaria Program Managers to engage additional country leaders, including Ministers of Finance and other line ministries in the elimination agenda
• Support the Ambassador through the development and execution of a schedule of engagements with influencers and policymakers globally, to maintain malaria as a priority on the national and regional agenda and to negotiate strategic and technical policies that will transform the programming environment to attain malaria elimination
• Facilitate the work of the Technical Committee and Ministerial Committees, including convening high-impact, productive committee meetings, facilitating the setting of resolutions, and ensuring effective follow up by the Secretariat to deliver on the mandates set
Secretariat and Staff Leadership:
• Provide strong leadership and oversight to staff located across eight countries; ensure the continued development of a professional and efficient organization that balances diplomatic roles and high-performance and goal orientation
• In collaboration with the Head of Finance, Grants and Operations, oversee a robust, high-quality operational and financial infrastructure, and ensure innovative systems are in place, to support the organization in its role
• Ensure organizational effectiveness and financial sustainability through strong internal systems, processes, policies and internal controls, efficient human and financial resource mobilization and accountability mechanisms across multiple locations.
• Facilitate cross-team collaboration and strengthen internal communications; promote a positive multi-cultural, globally-oriented work environment that supports shared values, high quality and innovative programming, and a drive for impact.
• Inspire, energize, coach and develop diverse teams of people with multiple perspectives and talents; motivate and collaborate, seeking input from a variety of sources and committed to fostering an open, inclusive and innovative culture
Education & Experience Required:
• Advanced degree (Masters’ level or higher) in a health-related discipline
• Minimum 15 years in a strategic leadership role, with proven change management success in a highly networked, growth-oriented and entrepreneurial environment
• At least 5 years’ experience of working in public health in a senior management position, especially in a government setting
• Cross-culturally competent and comfortable interfacing with member states, board members, funders, partners and other key stakeholders in the region and around the world
• Proven track record of change management and accomplishments at the regional, national or international level with strong resource mobilization, political and diplomatic skills;
• Track record of courting new partners and funders; adept at building visible and innovative partnerships, and forging lasting partnerships or funding relationships
• Ability to set clear priorities, delegate and guide investment in people and systems; strong strategic, organization and problem-solving skills that enable sound decision-making in a complex, geographically-dispersed organization
• Superior mentoring, professional development, people management and leadership skills; evidence of leading through change with positive outcomes; comfortable delegating to, and empowering, a talented and motivated senior leadership team and staff
• Persuasive presentation and communication skills; ability to independently convey complex concepts to a variety of audiences
• Experience leading or providing strong project management to national, regional, or ministerial-level initiatives, preferably in health; excellent project management, leadership and organizational skills
• Proven ability to define and execute strategies
• Exceptional interpersonal and communications skills, including cross-culturally and with high-level stakeholders in-person, and via phone and email, consistently using diplomacy and tact
• Established relationships with global health leaders from foundations, bilateral and multilateral agencies, nongovernmental organizations, the private sector, universities and consulting firms highly desirable
• Experience in interacting with donors; experience and a strong track record in developing successful grant/contract proposals to private, corporate and/or government agencies and foundations highly desirable
• Experience in malaria and/or disease elimination programming
• Experience and leadership in a senior international relations role in a multilateral setting, involving high level advocacy and diplomacy
• Demonstrated achievement in transformative environments, bringing to scale a similarly sized, complex, multi-site organization
• Training or qualification in public policy planning and administration
• Able to relate to a diverse community; derives enjoyment from building an authentic rapport with those who have varying viewpoints and perspectives; comfort level with the need to address and discuss the challenging realities of social justice, race and privilege.
• Impeccable integrity, entrepreneurial spirit and striving for continuous improvement.
• Willingness to travel regionally and globally, with up to 50% travel.
• A citizen from one of the following regions: Angola, Botswana, Mozambique, Namibia, South Africa, Swaziland, Zambia or Zimbabwe
Benefits and Contractual information:
Location: Windhoek, Namibia
Reporting to: Secretariat Board
Duration: Contract, 3 years (can be renewed based on performance)
Please apply directly, by sending an updated CV to firstname.lastname@example.org
For more exciting opportunities: www.banking-recruitment-jobs.com
If you have not had any response in two weeks, please consider your application unsuccessful however your CV will be kept on our database for any other suitable positions.