JOB TITLE: Executive Assistant
LOCATION: Windhoek, Namibia
REPORTING TO: HR Manager
LENGTH OF CONTRACT: 21 Months
ROLE TYPE: International
TRAVEL INVOLVED: 30%
DIRECT REPORTS: NA
CLOSING DATE: 27th January 2020
The Elimination 8 Initiative (E8) is a coalition of eight countries working across national borders to eliminate malaria in southern Africa by 2030. As the malaria response arm of the Southern Africa Development Community (SADC), the E8 is pioneering an ambitious regional approach and driving collective action to end this deadly disease once and for all. Guided by the belief that countries are stronger when they work together, the E8 is building a model that will inform coordinated efforts in southern Africa and beyond. Specifically, it has the following mandate:
- To strengthen regional coordination in order to achieve elimination in each of the E8 member countries;
- To elevate and maintain the regional elimination agenda at the highest political levels within the E8 countries;
- To promote knowledge management, quality control, and policy harmonization to accelerate progress towards elimination;
- To facilitate the reduction of cross-border malaria transmission; and
- To secure resources to support the regional elimination, plan, and to ensure long term sustainable financing for the region’s elimination ambitions.
The Executive Assistant reports directly to the HR Manager, and provides executive support to the Director, Ambassador and serves as a liaison to the Board of Directors and Senior Management Team. The Executive Assistant serves as the primary point of contact for internal and external stakeholders on all matters pertaining to the office of the Director and Ambassador. The Executive Assistant must be innovative and be able to multi-task within an entrepreneurial environment that is mission-driven, results driven and community orientated. The ideal individual will have the ability to exercise good judgment in a variety of situations, with strong written and verbal communication, administrative, and organizational skills, and the ability to maintain a realistic balance among multiple priorities. The Executive Assistant is required to work independently and must be able to work under pressure at times to handle a wide variety of activities and confidential matters with discretion.
- Completes a broad variety of administrative tasks for the Director and/or Ambassador including: managing an extremely active calendar of appointments; composing and preparing correspondence that is sometimes confidential; arranging complex and detailed travel plans, itineraries, and agendas; and compiling documents for travel-related meetings;
- Plans, coordinates and ensures the Director and Ambassador’s schedule is followed and respected;
- Communicates directly, and on behalf of the Director and/or Ambassador, with Board members, donors, staff and others on matters related to the Director’s and/or Ambassador programmatic activities;
- Provides a bridge for smooth communication between the Director’s office and internal departments; demonstrating leadership to maintain credibility, trust and support with senior management staff;
- Works closely and effectively with the Director to keep him/her well informed of upcoming commitments and responsibilities, aswell as following up appropriately;
- Successfully completes critical aspects of deliverables with a hands-on approach, including drafting acknowledgment letters, personal correspondence, and other tasks that facilitate the Directors and/or Ambassador’s ability to effectively lead the company; and
- Prioritizing conflicting needs; handles matters expeditiously, proactively, and follows-through on projects to successful completion, often with deadline pressures.
Board Support and Liaison
- Serves as the Director’s administrative liaison to the E8 Secretariat Board of Directors;
- Assists board members with travel arrangements, lodging, and meal planning as needed;
- Maintains discretion and confidentiality in relationships with all board members; and
- Adhere to compliance with applicable rules and regulations set in bylaws regarding board and board committee matters, including advance distribution of materials before meetings in electronic/paper format.
Senior Management Liaison
- Participates as an adjunct member of the Executive Team including assisting in scheduling meetings and attending all meetings;
- Assists in coordinating the agenda of senior management team meetings and off-sites, and all staff meetings; and
- Facilities cross-divisional coordination of travel plans.
- Bachelor’s degree in Business Administration required;
- 5-10 years of experience in supporting executives, preferably in an international non-profit organization;
- Proficient in Microsoft Office (outlook, Word, Excel and PowerPoint);
- Strong organizational skills that reflect ability to perform and prioritize multiple tasks seamlessly with excellent attention to detail;
- Very strong interpersonal skills and the ability to build relationships with stakeholders, including staff, board members, external partners and donors;
- Expert level written and verbal communication skills;
- Demonstrated proactive approaches to problem-solving with strong decision-making capability;
- Emotional maturity;
- Highly resourceful team-player, with the ability to be extremely effective independently;
- Proven ability to handle confidential information with discretion, be adaptable to various competing demands, and demonstrates the highest level of customer/client service and response;
- Demonstrated ability to achieve high performance goals and meet deadlines in a fast-paced environment;
- Forward looking thinker, who actively seeks opportunities and proposes solutions;
- Citizen of SADC.
Submission of Applications:
Closing Date: Applications must be submitted via email to email@example.com no later than the 27th of January 2020, clearly indicating the position being applied for in the email subject line.
E8 is an equal opportunity employer. Applicants who meet the requirements and are being considered for the interview will be contacted. Should you not hear from the E8 within four(4) weeks after the closing date, kindly consider your application as unsuccessful.
For further details (job description) on the position that you want to apply for, kindly visit the Elimination 8 Initiative Website: www.malariaelimination8.org