Job Title: Operations and Human Resources Manager
Location: E8 Secretariat, Windhoek, Namibia
Reports To: Head of Finance, Grants and Operations, E8 Secretariat
Duration: 24 months contract,renewable
The Elimination 8 is a SADC ministerial initiative, designed as a platform for regional collaboration towards malaria elimination within the SADC region. The eight countries which make up the E8 are Angola, Botswana, Mozambique, Namibia, South Africa, Swaziland, Zambia, and Zimbabwe. These countries are highly interconnected by population movement as well as shared malaria ecologies, making it impossible for one country to eliminate malaria without collaboration with its neighbours. The Ministers of Health of these eight countries have therefore committed to develop this platform for joint planning and accountability. Achieving elimination involves the design and meticulous execution of advanced disease and entomological surveillance systems, establishment of capacity for quality diagnosis, and control of parasite movement through the region’s porous borders. The E8 Ministerial and Technical Committees have developed a 5-year strategic plan to develop innovative, game-changing programs that will steer the region closer to its goal of zero transmission of malaria by 2030.
The Ministerial and Technical Committees of the E8 are supported by an E8 Secretariat, which coordinates diplomatic and programmatic collaboration between the eight countries. The Secretariat is also responsible for coordinating the execution of the Strategic Plan, in partnership with the funding and technical partners of the E8. The Secretariat is based in Windhoek, Namibia.
As we grow our organization, we increasingly rely on our internal systems to improve efficiency and effectiveness and to provide accurate and timely operations support to staff and stakeholders, and are seeking to introduce a new position to lead this effort. The Operations and HR Manager will be responsible for organizational systems and functions including technology, administration, travel management, establishing resilient and effective systems to facilitate the day-to-day work across all aspects of the organization’s business. He/she will ensure that our processes and systems adapt and improve as the organization evolves and matures. The Operations and HR Manager will bring strong leadership and organizations skills to a fast-growing team, operating in a dynamic multi-country context.
He/she will be an innovative problem solver, with a strong work ethic, enthusiasm to learn new skills and take on a wide range of tasks, and a commitment to serving the SADC region. Flexibility and ability to operate in a complex and dynamic context are important attributes for success in this role.
Key Performance Areas
Recruitment and Retention of Employees
• Oversee systems for recruitment and hiring
• Process new hires and employee terminations
• Work with key stakeholders to proactively support and facilitate the timely recruitment of both national and international positions
• Ensure implementation of the E8 recruitment policy
• Develop and enhance E8’s recruitment strategy including job optimization, recruitment brand development, talent acquisition and resourcing
• Manage the recruitment life cycle from inception to completion
• Provide solutions in the resolution of recruitment-related matters
• Ensure a continuous improvement and ‘best practice’ approach to managing E8’s recruitment system
• Analyse recruitment trends and contribute to the development of corporate recruitment, remuneration and other associated policies
• Develop staff retention initiatives and strategies.
• Develop tailored on-boarding programs, training materials and personal development options for staff
• Advise managers and staff regarding opportunities and responsibilities for staff development
• Develop a system for enabling managers to lead effective teams.
Compensation and Benefits
• Oversee and coordinate remuneration and benefits systems for nationally and internationally recruited staff in line with the E8 approach with an aim to have effective and attractive systems in place which are tailored to the country context yet harmonized at the secretariat level
• Provide technical support in ensuring that Country Representations maintain all required statutory labor requirements
HR Policy and Procedures
• Develop and maintain the Human Resources Manual
• Support Head of Finance, Grants and Operations in implementation of HR policy, including performance management system
• Support senior leadership and managers in reviewing and interpreting matters of HR policy, procedures and staff regulations
• Support leadership in nurturing a working environment which enables effective performance and compliance of set standards of discipline
• Support the Leadership and managers in ensuring implementation and compliance of the Human Resources Manual
• Facilitate effective consultation and good working relationships with both management and staff
• Develop an appropriate system for health and psychological support for staff in the secretariat
• Ensure effective design and implementation of HR procedures, systems and processes.
Performance and Data Management
• Coach, support and advise managers and staff in performance management including handling misconduct and other forms of grievances
• Maintain up to date HR data for staff in the Secretariat
• Generate HR reports geared at informing and taking action on key HR strategic matters such as Diversity
• Provide technical support on human resources matters across the secretariat.
• Manage and control the organization’s assets
• Anticipate future hardware, software and technology systems needs, and ensure appropriate maintenance of all technology
• Lead the development of an integrated knowledge management system for the entire organization to share its learnings and documents
• Oversee administration of HR contracts, E8-wide MOUs and Co-operation Agreements
• Supervise operations staff, and closely liaise with finance and procurement teams
• Develop and implement standard operating procedures to guide Secretariat coordination function; this includes the management of country delegates, technical working groups, meeting management, stakeholder landscape analysis and stakeholder management
• Execute against the organization’s strategic goals, work and expansion plans, including registration and operations set up outside Namibia
• Consult with management and other leadership to identify business processes to enhance organizational and internal team efficiency
• Develop methods for organization-wide knowledge management, information storage, filing formatting, data analysis methodologies, security, and management reporting
• Identify data collection tools, data sources, benchmarks, and performance targets for the operations department
• Identify specific work situations requiring employees to better understand changes in policies, procedures, regulations, and technologies
• Provide input to annual budgeting and staff planning processes
• Assist with grant budgeting and reporting
Qualifications and Experience
• Minimum of 8 years’ experience supporting multiple countries preferably within a matrix international organization
• Proven experience in providing Human Resources and operations support in a Southern African Regional Capacity role.
• Experience with Human Resources and operations Information Systems
• Experience with HR and operations in a multi-cultural and multi-national organization
• Demonstrated coaching, mentorship and supporting growth of a team at multiple levels within an organization
• Maturity and tact in dealing with high level Employee Relations issues
• Proven experience in being an HR strategic thought-partner to senior leadership across different countries
• Experience with Labour Laws across E8 countries and familiarity with the Namibian context will be an added advantage
• Demonstrated exposure to legal principles (relevant to human resources and country operations) at theoretical level will be an added advantage
• Relevant Qualification in HR, Administration, Business Management or other related fields
• Post-graduate qualification, preferably a Master’s Degree
• Superior organizational skills and detail orientation
• Ability to manage multiple, detailed projects and drive toward deadlines as well as customer service orientation
• Excellent verbal and written communication skills
• Team player who demonstrates a positive attitude, energy, entrepreneurial spirit, dedication to collaboration
• Good working knowledge of Microsoft Word, Excel, Outlook, PowerPoint, and databases
• Ability to perform under extreme pressure and take initiative in resolving problems
• Ability to work independently in a high profile, fast-paced and multi-tasked environment
• Citizen of SADC
Applicants are requested to send their CV to email@example.com no later than the 15th of June 2018, clearly indicating the job for which they are applying in the email subject line.