Job Description: Angola Focal Person
The Elimination 8 is a SADC ministerial initiative, designed as a platform for regional collaboration towards malaria elimination within the SADC region. The eight countries which make up the E8 are Angola, Botswana, Mozambique, Namibia, South Africa, Swaziland, Zambia, and Zimbabwe. These countries are highly interconnected by population movement as well as shared malaria ecologies, making it impossible for one country to eliminate malaria without collaboration with its neighbours. The Ministers of Health of these eight countries have therefore committed to develop this platform for joint planning and accountability. Achieving elimination involves the design and meticulous execution of advanced disease and entomological surveillance systems, establishment of capacity for quality diagnosis, and control of parasite movement through the region’s porous borders. The E8 Ministerial and Technical Committees have developed a 5-year strategic plan to develop innovative, game-changing programs that will steer the region closer to its goal of zero transmission of malaria by 2030.
The Ministerial and Technical Committees of the E8 are supported by an E8 Secretariat, which coordinates diplomatic and programmatic collaboration between the eight countries. The Secretariat is also responsible for coordinating the execution of the Strategic Plan, in partnership with the funding and technical partners of the E8.
The E8 Secretariat was awarded a new grant from April 1, September 1, 2021 from The Global Fund for enhanced malaria prevention and control in the region. Activities targeting directly Angola under the current investment include expanding of Health facility and community case management IRS, Surveillance strengthening in border areas
The Country Focal Person – Angola is a senior level position, working, to drive and support the E8’s mandate in Angola, as per the E8 Strategic Plan, and other technical and strategic mandates given to the E8 Secretariat. This post is based in Luanda at the NMCP with regular trips to our field projects to provide technical advice and support. Contractor will report to the Executive Director for the duration of the assignment.
Main Duties and Responsibilities
Stakeholder relations and engagement
- Represent the E8 mission with government and partners in Angola, and maintain excellent working relationships and technical cooperation to ensure successful attainment of the E8 mission in Angola
- Serve as the main support to the Ministry of Health to support Angola’s participation in the E8 partnership
- Maintain relationships with existing partners and stakeholders and seek out and develop new relationships as required for programme development.
- Where appropriate, develop and pursue signing of Memoranda of Understanding and/or contracts to formalize and clarify relationships with partners.
- Ensure that the country programme is meeting national policy needs and retains government support.
Programme Management and development
- Develop and manage annual Country Strategy and Workplan for Angola
- Work closely with the E8 Secretariat Director and Regional Staff in developing the vision and strategy for E8 work in Angola, including planning, implementation, monitoring and evaluation of E8 work.
- Supervise and support projects implemented in Angola to ensure that programme objectives are met efficiently and effectively, with work plans being developed and followed, ensuring project objectives are achieved in line with the Country Strategy.
- Ensure E8S obligations to Angola’s Ministry of Health as stated on MoU and E8 Agreement are met, including programme operational plan and regular reports.
- Oversee the implementation and maintenance of health and safety requirements in-country are adhered to.
- Ensure that all fieldwork activities are implemented according to procedures and guidelines
- Oversee the management of E8 Secretariat’s assets: working with staff to ensure that all equipment items and supplies are inventoried, efficiently utilized, and maintained.
- Serve as the key focal person in routine implementation subjects between the E8 Secretariat and the NMCP, with strategic and technical oversight from the NMCP Programme Manager.T his involves communication of planned activities, and dissemination of information among the districts and cross-border facilities
- Work closely with the NMCP Manager to decide on approach at the strategic and technical level, and then coordinates implementation of activities and follow up with the relevant units in the country.
- Facilitate collection of disease and programmatic M&E data for forwarding and aggregation at the regional level.
- Develop working relationships with national and district officers involved in these four main areas of regional malaria elimination programming – diagnosis and treatment of mobile and undeserved communities in the border areas, b. diagnosis QA/QC, c. surveillance, and e. entomology.
- Coordinate the implementation of programming, field assessments, and capacity building related to these programmes.
- Coordinate the field operations of the national and regional partners/contractors supporting these activities, including project planning, field logistics, and M&E.
- Manage the processes on the ground, with guidance from the NMCP Programme Manager and programme heads, to ensure that the country meets the milestones and outcome targets of the regional strategy.
- Conduct field supervisory visits to review implementation of regional interventions within the country.
- Conducts routine supervisory visits with performance spot checks to validate service data and verify quality of work done by E8 Contractor(s) in-country on behalf of the E8 Secretariat, and to build contractors’ M&E capacity while on site as required.
- Assure that E8 contractors and national malaria program facility managers report identification of malaria cases every month
- Support NMCP Programme Manager by drafting consolidated quarterly reports of the progress in implementing the regional strategy within the country and collate M&E data for reporting on the grant.
- Prepare any related presentations, reports related to the regional strategy as required the Grant Coordinator and the NMCP Programme Manager.
- Master the E8 strategic plans and regional work plans,and facilitate transfer and harmonization of the supporting national activities into the national strategies and plans, in collaboration with the NMCP Programme Manager and program focal points for diagnosis, surveillance, and entomology.
- Routinely collaborate with focal points in other E8 countries to share information and harmonize technical approaches.
- Monitor cross-border collaboration activities and coordinate meetings and data sharing between the country and its neighbors.
- Extend other programmatic support to the NMCP as requested by the NMCP Programme Manager.
Staff management and development
- Lead recruitment of new staff as required in coordination and consultation with technical and programme leads on the E8 Secretariat team
- Manage the establishment of administration, human resources and financial support processes in Angola
- Oversee the management of Performance and Development Review process and ensuring with the relevant staff that this process is cascaded down to project/office teams via the appropriate managers
- Provide support in the management and supervision of partners and team, to implement activities and produce deliverables in timely fashion, including developing Terms of Reference for contracts, selection and recruitment process, monitoring and evaluation of their deliverables.
Fundraising and Donor relations
- Support E8 Secretariat resource mobilization and funding strategy, through collaboration with E8 Secretariat Director
- Coordinate with relevant staff the development and writing of funding applications.
- Providing support and oversight in preparing and delivery reports and assist in preparing financial reports as required by donors and/or stakeholders in a timely manner.
- To ensure that general office and project administration, reconciliations back to E8S HQ are managed efficiently, in accordance with Finance departments’ requirements.
- Provide oversight of the compilation and submission of monthly reports.
- Ensure that close contact and communication about all aspects of the work with the relevant programme manager and regional staff
Expectations of job holder
- Maintain professional, cordial, and constructive dialogue and working relationships with team members, partners donors and Angola Ministry of Health department
- Ensure effective quality control and continuous improvement in all aspects of the work and responsibilities attached to this post.
- Demonstrate professionalism towards sensitive and confidential information
- Comply with and promote health and safety policies and procedures and to undertake recommended health and safety as and when necessary.
- Be committed to professional self-development, through participation in in-service training as necessary for the successful carrying out of the job.
- Masters in Public Health, or a Master of Science with professional experience in public health
- Minimum of five years of experience in project management leading and overseeing technical program implementation, including three years related with malaria.
- Ability to learn on the job quickly and to absorb and synthesize a broad range of information.
- Experience working in the NGO/development sector in Angola is highly preferred
- Record of effective leadership in senior management positions and ability to create and support a culture of promoting inclusivity, learning, and delivering results
- Demonstrated ability to lead the development and monitoring of project work plans’ implementation
- Demonstrated ability to analyze and present public health information clearly and concisely both orally and in writing
- Advanced computer skills in Microsoft Office Suite (World. Doc and Excel)
- Demonstrated ability to monitor performance against key performance indicators
- Sound judgment, strong organizational skills, and an ability to work flexibly in a team-oriented and culturally diverse environment
- Experience in report writing (in English and Portuguese), making presentations, conducting trainings and doing field work when required
- Demonstrated leadership, versatility, and integrity.
- Fluency in English and Portuguese required
HOW TO APPLY:
Please send an electronic version of your CV and cover letter with “Country Focal Person job application” in the subject line to; firstname.lastname@example.org by July 31, 2019. No telephone inquiries, please. Only finalists will be contacted. SADC elimination 8 values the protection of your personal data and your application will be subject to confidentiality.