Job title: SADC Malaria Elimination Eight Secretariat – Botswana Country Focal Person
Reports to: National Malaria Control Programme Manager and the E8 Secretariat’s Head of Country Operations
Period: 6 Months
Deadline: 21 June 2019
The Elimination 8 Initiative (E8) is a coalition of eight countries working across national borders to eliminate malaria in southern Africa by 2030. As the malaria response arm of the Southern Africa Development Community (SADC), the E8 is pioneering an ambitious regional approach and driving collective action to end this deadly disease once and for all. Guided by the belief that countries are stronger when they work together, the E8 is building a model that will inform coordinated efforts in southern Africa and beyond. The eight countries which make up the E8 are Angola, Botswana, Eswatini, Mozambique, Namibia, South Africa, Zambia and Zimbabwe. These countries are interconnected by population movement as well as shared malaria ecologies, making it difficult for one country to eliminate malaria without the collaboration with its neighbours. The E8 Ministerial and Technical Committee developed a strategic plan consisting of programs designed to steer the region closer to its goal of zero malaria transmission by 2030.
The E8 is looking for a candidate to lead the management of all E8 activities in Botswana. The Country Focal Person will be based in Gaborone-Botswana, with regular travel to border districts implementing E8 projects and with minimal regional travel. The successful candidate must be highly organised, with vast experience in managing relationships especially with Government Ministries or Departments. The candidate will be supervised by the Programme Manager in the National Malaria Control Programme in the Ministry of Health and Wellness and the Head of Country Operations at the SADC E8 Secretariat.
Scope of work
- Work closely with the National Malaria Control Programme (NMCP) Manager to decide on the approach at strategic and technical level on how to effectively coordinate the implementation of activities and follow up with the relevant units including district health management teams in Botswana.
- Serve as the key focal person for routine implementation and dealings between the E8 Secretariat and the NMCP, with strategic and technical oversight from the NMCP Programme Manager.
- This involves communication of planned activities and dissemination of information among the districts and cross-border facilities.
- Facilitate the collection of disease and programmatic Monitoring and Evaluation (M&E) data for forwarding and aggregation at national and regional level.
- Develop working relationships with national and district officers involved in the four main areas of regional malaria elimination programming – i.e. a) diagnosis and treatment, b) diagnosis, c) Surveillance and e) Entomology.
- Coordinate the implementation of programming, field assessments, and capacity building related to the above-mentioned thematic areas.
- Coordinate field operations of the national and regional partners and/or contractors supporting project activities including project planning, field logistics, monitoring and evaluation.
- Manage the process on the ground, with guidance from the NMCP programme manager and other NMCP thematic heads, to ensure that the country meets milestones and outcomes targeted by the regional strategy.
- Conduct routine supervisory visits with performance spot checks to validate service data, verify quality of work done and to build field officer’s monitoring and evaluation capacity while onsite as required.
- Demonstrate the ability to manipulate M&E data and generate evidence of impact of interventions in Botswana and further support the dissemination of good practices and malaria surveillance bulletins for the benefit of the E8 region.
- Conduct field supervisory visits to review implementation of regional interventions implemented to support Botswana malaria elimination strategy.
- Support NMCP programme manager by drafting consolidated quarterly reports of progress in implementing the regional strategy within Botswana and compile progress reports on the E8 grant.
- Prepare any related presentations, reports related to the regional strategy as required by the Head of Country Operations and the NMCP Programme Manager.
- Master the E8 and its regional work and facilitate the transfer and harmonization of support for national activities into national strategic plans, in collaboration with the NMCP Programme Manager and other thematic heads.
- Routinely collaborate with focal points in other E8 countries to share information and harmonise technical approaches.
- Participate in Botswana cross-border collaboration activities and coordinate meetings and data sharing between the Botswana and its neighbours for the harmonisation of malaria interventions.
- Perform any other duties as requested by the National Malaria Control Programme.
- Roll-out a country led border health post project in Botswana.
- Through the E8 regional catalytic funding for Botswana, develop workable solutions for the implementation of E8 projects and other country support programs as requested.
- Provide implementation oversight of the E8 grant in Botswana.
Skills and qualifications
- Bachelor of Science in Public Health related field or Social Sciences
- Post graduate degree will be an added advantage.
- High organization proficiency and management abilities in performance-based grants.
- Project management
- Experience working in developmental projects in support of national Governments
- Ability to operate in an unstructured highly demanding environment, with demonstrable track record of high performance.
- Dynamic, with strong leadership, interpersonal, problem-solving skills.
- Ability to handle multiple tasks simultaneously, set priorities and work independently
- Strong written and oral communication skills
- Advanced Microsoft Office skills, particularly Excel, Word and Power-Point
- Fluency in English with good verbal and written skills.
6 Months with potential for extension
How to apply
Please send your Curriculum Vitae with a cover letter to email@example.com on or before Wednesday 14 June 2019. Only shortlisted candidates will be contacted. For further details on the position please visit https://malariaelimination8.org/opportunities/ or https://www.sadc.int/opportunities/employment/